printing problem

Derek Atkins warlord at MIT.EDU
Wed Jan 2 17:15:08 EST 2008

Hi,

Kim_Wood <kim.wood at bigpond.net.au> writes:

> GNUCash team - I am also experiencing this problem, as probably are most
> windows users.  If I could assist technically, I would.  I suggest that this
> is likely to be a significant impediment to windows users.  I have certainly
> not seen any other windows programs exhibit a similar problem in many years
> of windows use.  I accept that it may not be a GNUCash source code problem -
> but nevertheless, it impacts the GNUCash experience for windows user, and
> therefore affects the uptake and acceptance of this fantastic piece of
> software.
>
> I am aware of the HTML work around - but surely this printing issue is worth
> a bit of investigation by one of the GNUCash guru's out there.  A strong
> windows base for this software, ensures its availability for all of us for
> many years to come.
>
> I am going to have a shot at bug fixing going forward - rather than just
> being a user.
>
> This is not a rant, but just a plea for a major windows issue to get a bit
> of priority with the development team.

Unfortuately the developers who work on windows cannot reproduce the
problem.  It's not that we don't want to solve it, but we cannot
reproduce it so therefore don't know where to start looking.  It
doesn't happen with all windows users.  It doesn't happen with all
printers.  There have been some work arounds proposed but it's still
unclear which (if any) work.

The current theories are issues with GnomePrint/GtkPrint, which
is a library we use but do not control.  Last I heard gnumeric
also had similar problems.