Any Interest in Configurable Imbalance name

Derrick Hudson dman at dman13.dyndns.org
Fri Jan 4 21:25:04 EST 2008

On Fri, Jan 04, 2008 at 12:04:08PM -0500, Donald Allen wrote:
| On Jan 4, 2008 11:18 AM, Jason Ahrens <jason at cougarcorp.net> wrote:

| > I actually don't mind the Imbalance accounts. Every now and then I screw
| > something up and notice that the Imbalance account has a non-0 balance,
| > so I have to fix something.
| >
| > As long as the ability for accounts with an imbalanced transaction in
| > them, and finding those imbalanced transactions is easy, I'm happy. I
| > found the Imbalanced account a functional and obvious way to do this. I
| > do agree though that sometimes Gnucash seems a little too eager to
| > assign transactions into it (i.e.: When I'm still editing values in a
| > split and haven't finalized it yet... Though I think Gnucash assumes
| > that if I press "enter", it means I'm done...)
|
| Did you ever use v1.8.x? I'm trying to find out if you ever
| experienced the behavior some of us (Derek, Adam, me) are advocating
| returning to.

I did.  The only visible difference in the register is "" vs
"Imbalance-USD".

No version (that I have used; I think 1.6 may have been the earliest)
allowed entering an unbalanced transaction.  However, prior versions
did allow for a split to have no account.  It really is a subtle
semantic difference in the implementation.  Whether a split doesn't
exist at all or exists with no account, either way defeats the purpose
of double-entry accounting.

I think that automatically using "Imbalance-USD" as a placeholder for
the splits that previously would have been hidden with no account is a
good thing.  A user can always delete the account when they don't have
any errors.  It is a useful aid in finding transactions that were
entered incompletely.

As for gnucash being "too eager" to assign splits to the imbalance
account, I have noticed that as well.  While entering data, sometimes
I tend to press "enter" to move down to the next split.  This is
interpreted as recording (comitting) the transaction, so gnucash fills
in the missing "imbalance" split.  However, if I use tab (or the down
arrow), this does not occur.  I would consider this either pebkac or a
usability issue, however when the behavior is understood it is not
actually a problem.

I would also find it reasonable if gnucash did not automatically
create the imbalance account, if it /also/ did not allow a split to
have no account.  A user who wants to intentionally circumvent the
principles of double-entry can choose to create such an account and
assign splits to it when they want to.

-D

--
One OS to rule them all, one OS to find them,
One OS to bring them all and in the darkness bind them,

www: http://dman13.dyndns.org/~dman/            jabber: dman at dman13.dyndns.org