Payroll Taxes

Matt Burkhardt mlb at imparisystems.com
Sat Jan 5 09:07:42 EST 2008

I'm using gnucash for a small business and now I'm trying to figure out
a better way to handle payroll withholding taxes.  Right now, I have
Liability / Accounts Payable / Taxes / Federal / Employer and Employee
accounts - that works out pretty well for me to pay the tax man each
quarter.  I expense the Employer tax contributions so it's pretty simple
to see what is paid out from the company's perspective.  However, I'm
having problems on how to deal with the employee withholding taxes.

I can't expense them - since they're not an expense to the company.  The
liability goes down to $0 after I pay off each quarter. How would I
enter it so that I could just run a report out of gnucash to get the
employee withholding amounts?

Thanks!

--
Matt Burkhardt, MSTM