sharing files between linux/windows

Josh Trutwin josh at trutwins.homeip.net
Mon Jan 7 23:53:05 EST 2008

> Do you really need svn?  Having a file writable by both is all that
> you need. I rarely use Gnucash under Windows.  When I do, I simply
> copy my data file across.

Well - I could use rsync or svk I suppose, I just know SVN well
enough and then I get version history for free.  Plus I could on
different networks where copying the datafile would amount to sftp or
something.

> Having a file writable by both is the ideal solution.  I tried
> writing to Windows with the ntfs-3g app, and lost everything,
> although in hindsight, there was some problem with the connections
> to my SATA HD.   From the Windows side, I use Ext2IFS_1_10c.exe,
> which is freeware.

So far it seems to be working ok - I use TortoiseSVN on windows to
pull in the latest data file copy and check it in when done.  90% of
the edits will be done on Linux though - I mainly wanted to make sure
I wasn't going to eventually corrupt the data file doing this.  :)

Thanks,

Josh