Balance in Red

Derek Atkins warlord at MIT.EDU
Wed Jan 9 10:04:20 EST 2008

Hi,

This question should have been asked on gnucash-user.  I've
forwarded it there.  Please keep all replies on the gnucash-user
mailing list by using the "Reply-to-List" or "Reply-All" feature
of your mailer.  You should also subscribe there if you haven't.

Peggy Spindelilus <venturaoaks at att.net> writes:

> Hello,
> Why does my balance show in red? I have money in my balance and it is
> still coming up red. Also I do not know what the N is for in my register
> window. When I click on the R it will go to C. Please help.. Thanks

It sounds like you're not using double-entry correctly.  If you
haven't, I suggest you read the GnuCash Concepts and Tutorial
Guide which explains this quite well.

The "R" column is the Reconciled Column.  N means "Not reconciled".
When you click there and it changes to "C", that means "Cleared".
When you actually run through the reconciliation process, that
will change it to "Y", which means "Yes, reconciled".  This, too,
is explained in the documentation.

Good Luck,