Temporary File Deletion

Mike or Penny Novack stepbystepfarm at mtdata.com
Thu Jan 10 10:23:26 EST 2008

>Yes.  See also
>Edit > Preferences > [tab:] General > [section:] Files > [option:] Retain Log Files.

I didn't refer to those options for a very good reason. Whether you can
make GOOD use of that feature depends very much on your general backup
procedures as well as your normal schedule of GnuCash use.

For example -- a business user whose bookkeeper will be opening GnuCash
every fiscal day and/or has a daily or weekly full data backup could
usefully use a retention of log files setting. For those whose use of
GnuCash is irregular/unpredictable not so useful. Neither a "specified
by amount of time" or "specified by number of saves" by itself is
adequate in that case.

Remember -- I wasn't referring to HOW the log files were deleted,
whether manually or by a "retain for" setting. I was trying to explain
that the key consideration is your overall backup procedure. .For
example, suppose you had an automated data backup running once a week.
Then an automated "keep for 10 days" would be safe -- the deleted data
guaranteed to exist in SOME backup version.

Michael