Turning off Trace Files

Josh Sled jsled at asynchronous.org
Thu Jan 10 12:06:27 EST 2008

Manoj Kalava <manojkalava at hotmail.com> writes:
> I recently downloaded the GNUCASH 2.2.3 (Source + Binaries)... When I use it, it is writing a huge trace file to the c:/temp directory.  The trace file name is gnucash.trace.E0WW4T.

I believe there is a big on Windows specifically that leads to large trace
files full of a warning about waiting for a synchronization handle.   This
may or may not be what you're experiencing, though.

> Would appreciate if you could let me know how to turn the tracing off?

There's no "--no-tracing" option, but the following is quite similar:

To effectively turn off the creation of ${tempdir}/gnucash.trace.[…], edit
what the Windows equivalent of ~/.gnucash/log.conf would be, to look like:

    [levels]
    gnc=error
    qof=error
    [output]
    to=stderr

The key bit is the last section/line, which will send logging output to
standard error rather than the gnucash.trace file.  The [level] section will
increase the threshold for messages to be logged, greatly reducing the volume
of logged messages.  Note that by doing this, you'll lose detail if there is
a problem … but if the problem is not reproducible anyways, it probably won't
matter.

--
...jsled
http://asynchronous.org/ - a=jsled; b=asynchronous.org; echo ${a}@${b}