Bank Interest in Wrong Column on Reconcile

Tommy Trussell tommy.trussell at gmail.com
Fri Jan 11 17:41:25 EST 2008

Sorry to resurrect an old thread AND top-post, too, but I just
reconciled an account for six months worth of statements and the
interest deposit behavior was very odd and inconsistent. I'm still
running 2.2.1, so if any of this has been touched in the last couple
of releases I'll push to get 2.2.3 backported to my version of Ubuntu.
(7.10)

Most of the time, the interest payment went into the wrong column (as
I described in the old thread below), but on about every third
reconcile, the reconcile dialog complained again, saying I couldn't
transfer to and from the same account, and when it was complaining, it
wouldn't let me choose the bank account, but made me choose the
Interest income account. On the NEXT reconcile it did the opposite --
told me I couldn't transfer to-and-from the same account and I had to
choose the bank account again.

THEN when I was finished reconciling all those statements I had lots
of spurious Inbalance-USD transactions (that should have been in the
Interest income account) and of course those transaction splits
refused to go away (I had reconciled them after all).  After I copied
the interest amount into the proper accounts, ultimately I changed the
Inbalance accounts to the "unspecified" account.

Again, if this has been touched in the latest release I'll try to
upgrade soon. I have another account I'm way behind on...