rearranging accounts - backdoor?

Andrew Sackville-West andrew at swclan.homelinux.org
Sun Jan 13 13:46:45 EST 2008

On Sat, Jan 12, 2008 at 12:08:46PM -0700, Brad Haack wrote:
> Thanks for all of the suggestions.  I took a stab at editing the QIF
> file, but what seemed like the obvious mod, didn't quite work.  I
> gunziped the gnucash file and after a quick look decided that, like I
> was warned, that wasn't practical.  I went thru the normal channels, and
> after hours of mouse clicks I have it pretty close.
> Product improvement suggestions:  Currently all quicken categories get
> set to top level accounts, these could default to Expense: or Income:
> sub accts.

THis process is much simpler if you do as others have suggested and
create an account tree in the gnucash file *before* importing. Then
you can map the incoming accounts list to the existing tree.

As Charles suggested, there isn't sufficient information in a basic
qif file to determine what is expense or income. So that put's you
back to mapping the accounts anyway...

.02