check printing DATE witout mm/dd/yyyy

Terry fastsnip-family1 at yaoo.com
Sun Jan 13 20:17:15 EST 2008

Adapting the Quicken letter size check printing for use with VersaCheck
3 check/page blanks.

Running into a problem that the documentation is totally quiet on.

When the date is printed, it also prints immediately underneath:

mm/dd/yyyy

I suppose this is to tell the person viewing the date, the date format.

I would like to turn off this "feature" because:

   1. No room on check for the extraneous text.
   2. All of my checks are for US recipients only anyway, so the
      "mm/dd/yyyy" specification is un-necessary.
   3. Even if I write a check for a recipient in another country, the
      check would have to be cashed within a short time and so the day
      and month cannot be confused.

I have read through the docs and there is no mention made of the "extra"
text or of any way to turn it off.

Can I turn off the extra text??

If so, How?

By the way, when I have the Quicken format adapted for the VersaCheck
format, I'll send that to whoever of the gnucash developers would like
to insert it into the "standard" formats repository for distribution
with gnucash.