check printing DATE witout mm/dd/yyyy

Terry fastsnip-bcard at yahoo.com
Mon Jan 14 13:15:26 EST 2008

Done. That works beautifully.

Have the check format file working for the VersaCheck Form 3001. The
following is printed on the bottom of the check sheet:

"VersaCheck Form 3001 Classic"

The check sheet is totally blank when purchased. You need the VersaCheck
s/w to print blank checks for use with gnucash. I received Versaheck
free with a scanner years back and use it simply to print about 10 or 20
blank check sheets at a time.

Funny, for years I had to hand write all checks, then progressed to a
typewriter (saved handwriting recognition errors), then learned to print
wallet checks on the computer, then saved money by buying the VersaCheck
blank sheets (a LOT cheaper than the wallet checks from the banks), then
the banks went online and I got free online bill paying. Now I write
maybe 3, max 4 checks a year. Still have about 100 blank VersaCheck
sheets from the original 250 sheets. The s/w will probably no longer
work with Windows updates before I run out of blank sheets. I still
think I saved some money over buying those wallet checks from the banks.

This form has 3 checks/page with a "stub" on the left side of the page
and a transaction log on the bottom of the page. The check sizes are the
same as the usual "wallet" checks.

The page is the US letter size.

I have the check format file setup to print "top", "middle", or "bottom"
check. The stubs on the left side of the page are filled in also when
the check is printed.

If the gnucash developers want the format file, I can send the check
format file, "VersaCheck.3001.chk" to somebody and it can be included
with the gnucash distribution.

Old computer died and I installed Kubuntu 7.10 on the new one. Used
gnucash 1.8.x on old one and using gnucash 2.2.1 on the new one. Like
the check printing feature a lot. Saves a few steps. I used to export a
customized transaction report and then use an Awk clone I wrote to scan
for check information and print the checks to the VersaCheck form.
Printing directly from gnucash saves steps and time. Also, I don't have
to re-finagle the Awk regular expressions every time I get a gnucash
upgrade. That's one reason I stopped upgrading gnucash - too much
trouble to finagle the regular expression because the export file
formats always changed with an upgrade and it would take a few hours of
experimenting to get the regular expressions right for the new format.

As I get used to the "new" gnucash 2.2.1 and adjust to the differences
to 1.8.x, I find I am liking 2.2.1 better and better.

Thanks for great financial s/w

Terry