where can I find info on setting up credit card accounts

Tim M southern.tim at gmail.com
Sun Jan 20 19:33:52 EST 2008

Hi, I have been using GnuCash for about two years. I don't understand the
first thing about accounting. I have researched the subject of credit card
and GnuCash but that gets me more confused. I want to download my ccard
statement and show those expenses in my checking account, but when importing
the qif file it asks for the account name. The default is the month/day/year
plus the last digits of the card. That confuses me. Should I just accept the
default account name . . . and it seems I have done it only to not be able
to find it later. The only way I can figure out how to do it is to use
Quicken to import my statement and accept each item and then export the qif
file to gnucash. It works but sort of defeats the purpose of using GnuCash.
Can someone lead me to a site that might explain accounting in terms a
carpenter can understand?
Tim