Trial balance failed!

Derek Atkins warlord at MIT.EDU
Mon Jan 21 09:46:41 EST 2008

Hi,

First, please remember to CC gnucash-user on all your replies using
your mailer's Reply-To-List or Reply-All feature..

mianomurage at zinkdigital.com writes:

> Hi Derek,
> I still have a problem with my gnucash trial balance. Well, I have had several foreign exchange transactions so Exactly what amount should I fill in the splits.
> I have tried copying my gnu file then from the price editor I have changed all the different exchange rates into one rate but still the trial balance is off. The Dr. side exceeds the Cr. side. There is an amount under "unrealized gains" but it's still not enough to off set the imbalance.
> I really do not understand why the "unrealised gains" yet the exchange rate is the same!

Exactly what amount you should fill in the splits is a factor of the
exchange rate at the time of the aquisition and the rate at the time
of "sale".

The trial balance probably doesn't care about the entries in the price
editor, I don't think.  Honestly I've never even looked at the T-B
report.  I just use the real Balance Sheet.

-derek