Some General questions about GC

John Clements gnucash at brinckerhoff.org
Mon Jan 21 11:52:18 EST 2008

On Jan 20, 2008, at 9:00 AM, gnucash-user-request at gnucash.org wrote:

> On Fri, Jan 18, 2008 at 11:24:49PM -0500, Richard Geddes wrote:
>
>> I took a class using the EOPL text about 2 years ago so I'm a little
>> rusty.
>>
>> Using Dr Scheme... do you recommend a particular language or is the
>> Standard r5RS ok?
>>

> http://www.gnu.org/software/guile/guile.html
>
> is what is used. It interfaces between the gnucash C code and the
> scheme report code.

Ah! Alas.  If Gnucash used PLT Scheme, I'd be a happier person.  As
one of the (secondary) PLT developers, though, I'm distinctly biased.

In principle, you may be able to use the DrScheme environment with
the R5RS language setting for some of this development, but I suspect
that you'll discover incompatibilities rapidly: R5RS is a core, but
nearly every Scheme implementation builds upon it in its own ways.

If you do decide to try to use DrScheme, and you run into any
problems, please let me know; I don't have any time to work on it
directly, but I'd love to help support you.

John Clements