Replaying log files doesn't seem to restore entries

andy thomas andy at netstat-a.net
Wed Jan 23 04:01:49 EST 2008

I left gnucash 1.8.9 running on a system for almost a year, with an
account open that had not been saved since January 2007 (my default - I
somehow thought it autosaved at regular intervals). During this period, 3
entries were made into this account and 3 log files exist, the most recent
being in November, 2007. After the system eventually went down owing to
disk failure last month, I restored the account and the log files from
backups to another system but on replaying the 3 log files in sequence
using 'File... Import... Replay GnuCash .log file', a lot of output
appears in the debug terminal but nothing is actually changed in any of
the accounts. On saving the account, it's exactly the same file length as
it was a year ago and diff reports no differences between this and the
original file from last January.

What am I doing wrong? Incidentally, the whole of the user home directory
was restored including the user's .gnucash folder. The other thing I have
noticed is that after the last of the 3 log files was replayed, they all
disappeared and were replaced by a new one with today's date.

This is not a disaster as the number of transactions involved is small and
there is other paperwork, accounting reports and text notes from which it
can be re-entered. But with the UK self assessment tax deadline just over
a week away, it's something I'd rather not waste time on.

cheers,

Andy

Andy Thomas,
netstat -a llp

Tel: +44 (0)7815 060872
Fax: +44 (0)20 8372 2582
http://www.netstat-a.net

...applying the glue that holds it together