Future Liabilities

Alan Milnes deep64blue at itguru.org.uk
Fri Jul 4 14:17:38 EDT 2008

Hi

I've just started using GNUCash and have a question.  I've read the
manual and googled but can't find the answer (perhaps haven't hit the
correct term to look for?).  I've tried to search the list archive but I
get the message:-

No document matching your query."

Anyway my question is this - when I get paid I want to set some money
aside for certain expenses I know i will incur e.g. Food, Entertainment.
I need to allocate this on payday and then effectively "draw against" it
during the month, whilst being able to track my real current (checking)
account balance i.e. take into account any unspent money in these
categories.

I thought of something like this but it seems very long winded and I'm
not sure how to then report my true available funds:-

On payday
Expenses:Food -150
FutureSpend:Food +150

When spent