Unrealized gains: conclusions?

Charles Day cedayiv at gmail.com
Mon Jul 7 19:08:07 EDT 2008

On Mon, Jul 7, 2008 at 3:44 PM, Mike Alexander <mta at umich.edu> wrote:

> --On July 7, 2008 10:42:18 AM -0700 Charles Day <cedayiv at gmail.com> wrote:
>
>  On Mon, Jul 7, 2008 at 10:29 AM, Mike Alexander <mta at umich.edu> wrote:
>>
>>  --On July 7, 2008 8:46:37 AM -0700 Charles Day <cedayiv at gmail.com>

>>> I'm all in favor of making trading accounts optional.  They are a
>>> global option in my patch, but really should probably be an option
>>> associated with a specific Gnucash file.  However, I don't think it's
>>> correct to say that trading accounts record unrealized gains.  They
>>> record the net conversion between commodities which makes it possible
>>> to calculate unrealized gains.  This is perhaps a small distinction,
>>> but I think it is a useful one.
>>>

>> Ah, I think I see what you mean. Unless you have forgotten to record
>> realized gains, or you are revaluing your existing holdings (or
>> GnuCash is doing so against your will), trading accounts have a net
>> zero balance. So trading accounts are not incompatible with cash
>> basis accounting. Do I have that right?
>>

> Yes, that's correct, assuming you've closed out your position in the
> security.  I've attached a tiny file that shows the result of buying a stock
> and selling it for a profit.  I recorded capital gains using the lot
> scrubber and used trading accounts.

Even if you haven't closed out your position, if reports and the GUI were to
value your remaining holdings at cost then the trading accounts would have a
net zero balance. But reports and the GUI don't give you that choice at
present. If the changes I committed today get released, then valuing current
holdings at average cost will be available for reports in 2.2.6.  As for the
GUI, I don't know which price source the Accounts tab currently uses, but it
does seem to be doing revaluation.

-Charles