Documentation

Josh Sled jsled at asynchronous.org
Thu Jul 10 17:32:23 EDT 2008

"Santimauro, Peter" <Peter.Santimauro at mckesson.com> writes:
> I used this product a few years ago.  I liked it but it was a little to
> overwhelming at first.  I am re-downloading it again, as I write this.
> But I must ask the question, why has the documentation not been ported
> to a wiki.  The old html doc is just not user friendly and not easy to
> navigate.  I feel that now we are living in the age of the wiki and old
> help docs should die.
>

> If you need someone to help port it, I would be willing to start/help.

I generally agree; this has been discussed in the past, a bit.

A requirement about the documentation is that we should be able to ship a
static version of it, which is what rules out a naïve wiki solution.

Right now the documentation is in Docbook, which is a fine format; I don't
think we should consider ourselves bound to it if there's a better option.

<http://doc-book.sourceforge.net/homepage/> might be the ticket; maybe
someone can set it up, try it out, and see how well it works?

I believe it's less important to have desktop-specific help-viewer content
than up-to-date docs, but if we can easily get something suitable for yelp or
kelp (or whatever the KDE help viewer is actually called), that's great.

--
...jsled
http://asynchronous.org/ - a=jsled; b=asynchronous.org; echo ${a}@${b}