Method to automatically assign an account?

Mike or Penny Novack stepbystepfarm at mtdata.com
Sun Jul 13 14:45:08 EDT 2008

>I'm just starting to use Gnu Cash. I've imported the last several months of my transactions into Gnu Cash (using a transaction report my bank provides for me online). So far, I haven't found any way to automatically assign categories / accounts to each transaction. For example, all of my transactions with description "Enbridge" are gas utility payments, so it would be nice to automatically assign them to the Expenses:Utilities:Gas account.
>

>Is there a way to automatically categorize transactions? For me, this is a deal breaker. If Gnu Gash can't do this, then I'll be buying a commercial product that can.
>
>Thanks,
>
>Orion Irvine

Orion -- I suspect that you are overly optimistic about there being some
"commercial product" that comes with a programmable recognizer of the
sort you would need to do that. Especially since the "description" field
in almost any such system, like as with GnuCash, is likely to be "free
form". You are perhaps overly optimistic about the "all" -- and it
really would have to be "all", not 99% right, because finding a
misposted transaction is non-trivial as any bookkeeper will tell you.

By all means research available commercial packages to see if any can do
this for you.

Michael