Split transaction

Mike or Penny Novack stepbystepfarm at mtdata.com
Wed Jul 16 07:08:11 EDT 2008

Fredrik Eriksson wrote:

>I have a problem when following up my transactions and comparing with
>my bankstatements. For example if I go to the store and by food and
>take out some money at the same time I  enter this as two transactions :
>
>assets:account -> expenses:food     300
>assets:account -> expenses:cash    500
>
>But checking my bankaccount I only have one statement :
>
>2008-09-12 Food store     800
>
>Can I do this someway in gnucash so one transaction is split in two
>deposits for easier handling?
>
>Regards,
>
>Fredrik

It's not a deposit.

But yes, this is exactly what a "split transaction" is for.
                        db       |    cr
assets:account            |     800
expenses:cash   500   |
expenses:food   300   |

As in all cases, GnuCash can't TELL you how to do "double entry
bookkeeping". All it can do is make the process easy/automatic
posting/check for imbalance errors.

Michael

--
There is no possibility of social justice on a dead planet except the equality of the grave.