how to register an advance payment ?

Jason Ahrens jason at cougarcorp.net
Sun Jul 27 20:57:50 EDT 2008

Bob Alexander wrote:
> I bought a piece of funiture for 1000 euros and as it needs to be custom
> built the carpenter asked for an advance payment of 300 which I payed with
> my credit card.
>
> I therefore registered in gnucash a charge to my credit card of 300 with a
> transfer on my "house" expense income.
>
> So far so good, but what I would like to be able to track is that in some
> time I will have to pay for another 700 and that the overall cost of that
> good is 1000.
>
> How would you go about it ?

There isn't really a "future tracking" mechanism like you are thinking
about, I don't think.

Though, you can put an expense at a future date. GNUCash will display
this as an expense below a blue line in the register. This means "in the
future" as far as GNUCash is concerend, then you can adjust the date as
it becomes known.

I do this for known future expenses and/or incomes. Helps me keep track
of my known future waterline, as it were.

Jason