file to email

Jason Ahrens jason at cougarcorp.net
Tue Jul 29 14:28:13 EDT 2008

On Tue, Jul 29, 2008 at 9:25 AM, Jim Douglas <jdz99 at hotmail.com> wrote:

> What is the best way to get my entries to my accountant?
>
> Should I create an Export or just copy the files from the directory?

For the question itself, it depends what your accountant wants. If he can
read GNUCash files, then you could give him the file. If not, you want to
export. I'd work with him to find the best solution

For second, you do not want to e-mail it, unless you are encrypting the
file. E-mailing any kind of sensitive data (and I'm assuming your financial
records going to an accountant are sensitive) un-encrypted e-mail is a very
bad idea. Anyone in the middle can see your file.

For encryption, something like a GPG (http://www.gnupg.org/) encryption
using a good, strong public-private keypair is best, but that's a whole
'nother ball of wax, and something you may need to convince your accountant
of. Of course, you may find your accountant already has a way to securely
transfer files. I'd ask. May be better to take him a CD or USB key or
something.