Setting up GnuCash for various Fund Raising Events

Derek Atkins warlord at MIT.EDU
Thu Jul 31 06:35:42 EDT 2008

Hi,

Amir Habboosh <ahabbo at yahoo.com> writes:

> The school also holds two checking accounts and two savings accounts, that are used for holding all proceeds from these events and to fund the startup of each event.
>
> I would like to be able to track the income and expenses for each of the fund-raising events, independently.
>
> The group also has some minor regular expenses, including telephone, and equipment maintenance, postage, paper, etc.
>
> My questions is, how to best organize a gnucash Account Tree to best track the various events' income and expenses, and to track how much money is typically needed to startup each event.

IANAA, but what I would do:

1) Set up an Asset/Bank account for each real bank account.  This way
   you know how much money you really have.

2) Set up Expense accounts for all your regular expenses

3) Set up an "Event" Account Hierarchy for each event, so you can track
   of the Income and Expense for each event.

Obviously I think #3 is the hardest part, and what you might want to
do is create a GnuCash Example Account Hierarchy with the appropriate
Income and Expense accounts that you need for each event.  Then you can
load in this hierarchy every time.

Note that this is just a brainstorming idea.  I don't know how
well this would scale over a long period and many many events.