Basic Questions about custom reports

Eric! eric at sailsarana.com
Wed Jun 4 16:01:04 EDT 2008

Derek Atkins wrote:

> Hi,
>
> Did you remember to change the report GUID and report name in your
> new custom report?

I appreciate your patience in answering my stupid questions, but I'm
obviously on a level way below you here.  Perhaps I'm not asking the right
questions either.  I would like to create a custom report, and I think I can
figure out the guts of the SCM file based on others on the web.  However I
don't know how to get GC to load it on startup or show it on one of the
menus.  I don't know how the GUID works or how the "gc:define-report" should
be set up.

But starting at the beginning, should I put my SCM file in ~/.gnucash or
somewhere else?

Then should I edit the standard-reports.scm in
/gnucash/share/gnucash/guile-modules/gnucash/report to include my new
report?  How does the config.user fit into this scheme?

Is there an idiots guide to making your SCM report file run on gnucash
somewhere?  I can't seem to find anything other than bits and pieces in the
FAQ and on the WIKI.  All I really need to do is set a start and stop date,
but the options for the built in reports only offer a stop date.  I want to
just look at a month's expense independant of the previous balances.