Action split

Tarlika Elisabeth Schmitz gnucash at numerixtechnology.de
Wed Jun 4 17:33:57 EDT 2008

On Wed, 04 Jun 2008 10:09:14 -0400
Derek Atkins <warlord at MIT.EDU> wrote:

> Tarlika Elisabeth Schmitz <gnucash at numerixtechnology.de> writes:
>
> > I notice the Action field relates to the split rather than the whole
> > transaction. Consequently, if you make, for instance, a cheque
> > payment
> > From one account to another, the Action text will only show up in
> > one account.
> >
> > It's a useful piece of information but I am somewhat reluctant
> > entering it as I find it most confusing that the Action does not
> > show up on the other side.
> >
> > What is the reason for this design?
>
> Because in a split transaction each split is doing something
> different. Take a sale of stock, where you have the Sell split, the
> Commission split, the Profit split, ...

It certainly makes sense for split transactions. For non-split
transactions it is a bit counter-intuitive for the user. Looking at the
XML data file, I can see that every unsplit transaction is a two-way
split. But the user won't think of it as a split.

Consider this:

You send a cheque from account A to account B. Enter Action 'Cheque' on
A. If you search for all cheque payments to B, you won't get any
results as the Action is associated with A.

Regards, Tarlika