importing invoice items

Ian Smith-Heisters i at idiosyncra.tc
Mon Jun 9 11:59:16 EDT 2008

On Mon, Jun 9, 2008 at 6:27 AM, Derek Atkins <warlord at mit.edu> wrote:
> Quoting Ian Smith-Heisters <i at idiosyncra.tc>:
>
>> Hi all,
>>
>> I've seen this asked on the list before and answered in the negative,
>> but I thought I'd see if there's been any changes: is there any way to
>> get bulk data into an invoice? Ideally from a CSV, but even if I could
>> cut and paste into the date, description, and quantity fields at once
>> I'd be happy.
>
> You can always cut-and-paste into the register fields.  But there's
> no generic invoice.

yeah--cutting and pasting once for each item is fine. But I have to do
it 3 times: once for date, once for description, once for quantity. It
gets really tedious.

>>     What about CashUtil: is it considered stable and safe?
>> Any clues in this direction would be greatly appreciated.
>
> I would never consider cashutil stable, but it's also not a gnucash
> project.  It was created outside of gnucash and if it's even maintained
> it's been maintained outside of gnucash.

that's the impression I got.

sounds like I'm SOL :(

Thanks for the responses though!

So where would I start to write something like this into GnuCash? I've
got a script that's reading the files (that I'll post here soon), but
it seems like for write operations to be reliable it should be using
the GnuCash API and be part of the main codebase. Is this something
the maintainers would accept upstream if I wrote it? I would most
likely need to converse with someone familiar with the code so that I
could write code with acceptable quality. Alternatively, is there a
possibility of funding this feature?

-Ian