Accounting in foreign currencies

Adam Funk a24061 at ducksburg.com
Mon Jun 9 12:26:47 EDT 2008

On 2008-06-07, Danny Rohde wrote:

> I have a credit card account in CHF and my expense account is also in
> CHF. If I go abroad and buy something in GBP I didn't find a "smart" way
> to record this transaction. If I put in the numbers if does not allow me
> to use the exchange rate feature because both accounts are in my base
> currency.

I usually just wait for foreign transactions to appear on my on-line
account, then enter them as the resulting value in the account
currency (and I note the original currency and amount in the memo).

> It would be great, if I could just use the program to get a preliminary
> exchange rate, before I finally reconcile it from my credit card bill.
>
> Any idea how to achieve this?

I don't think Gnucash can do this.  On the rare occasions when I've
been motivated to put estimated amounts in before transactions show up
on-line, I use a calculator and put "***ESTIMATED***" in the
description.