transaction dates + times

Tarlika Elisabeth Schmitz gnucash at numerixtechnology.de
Thu Jun 19 11:13:18 EDT 2008

I make a lot of transfers between my own bank accounts. Transfers take
X working days (X varies depending on banks involved). As a result, the
balance in the receiving account will not be correct until the date the
funds arrive. This can be very confusing and the utmost care is
required when scheduling payments from that account or trying to figure
out available funds on certain days. However, I am not aware of any
accounting system that could resolve this problem.

In a similar vein, a requirement I have is to make a note of
- when a bank transaction was intitiated (date + time)
- when the funds leave account A
- when the funds arrive in account B (value date)
- when the funds become visible or withdrawable from B

Sometimes I check the "date-entered" field in the XML file to figure
out when I did a particular transfer. Is this timestamp updated when
the transaction is changed?

I know these are rather unusual requirements and GnuCash is not
designed to store this level of detail. I just wanted to raise these
points to see whether anybody else might have similar requirements.

--

Best Regards,

Tarlika Elisabeth Schmitz

A: Because it breaks the logical sequence of discussion