sharing the gnucash database via nfs

Cam Ellison cam at ellisonpsychology.ca
Thu Jun 26 23:18:24 EDT 2008

Allan Gottlieb wrote:
> (I apologize if this is a duplicate, I could not tell if my first
> attempt was successful).

It was, but I'll respond to this one.
> First and foremost, thanks for gnucash.  I use it daily with great
> success.
>
> Previously I did everything on a single machine (laptop) called
> ajglap.
>
> I now have a spiffy monitor that requires a better graphics card so
> I sometimes use a desktop called allan.
>
> At the moment on allan I type
>    ssh -Y ajglap gnucash
> and this works well.
>
> If possible I would prefer to avoid sending the graphics over the
> network.
>
> On ajglap I have ~/.gnucash and all is fine.
>
> On allan I have ajglap:~gottlieb nfs mounted on ~gottlieb/ajglap
> and then created a symlink
>     ~gottlieb/.gnucash --> ~gottlieb/ajglap/.gnucash
>
> (i.e. ~/.gnucash is the same directory on each machine).
>
> On ajglap all remains well.
>
> On allan the symlink had essentially no effect: typing
>    gnucash
> results in my being asked the usual new-user questions.
>
> How should I have done this?

You should not have to symlink if you are using nfs.

First, decide on which machine you want to keep the data file - I
suggest that this should be the desktop, and it should also be the nfs
server (whichever machine is the nfs server must have the datafile).
Then install gnucash on both machines.  When you start gnucash on the
slave machine (your laptop), tell it to open the file you've placed on
the server.  Of course, you need first to mount the directory in which
you've placed it.

In case you're wondering, that's what I do.  Works like a charm.

HTH

Cam

--
Cam Ellison  Ph.D.  R.Psych. #01417