Company File Name

Jason Ahrens jason at cougarcorp.net
Sat Jun 28 11:51:21 EDT 2008

Tony Nelson wrote:
> Hi All,
>
> Sorry for the ultra basic question, but I'm confused by my companies
> GnuCash file name, and also the large number of log files in my GnuCash
> directory.
>
> Does OLC.20080409170103.xac.20080628075545.xac seem like a
> legitimate/correct file name?

Yes and no. GNUCash makes frequest backups while it's in use that you
can "roll back" to if something goes wrong. Each XAC file is one of
those backups. You can open a backup as if it were a regular GNUCash
data file and continue editing.

However in the case above, it looks like someone started using a backup,
didn't "rename" it or save it under a new name, so GNUCash then did it's
regular thing and start making backups based on the XAC name.

The particular case looks like the data file was called OLC. For some
reason, someone opened the XAC file from April 9, 2008 5:01:03pm and
started using that as the datafile. The file name above is then the
backup from June 28, 2008 7:55:45am after that April 9 XAC file started
being used as the primary data file.

> Also there are a ton of log files and .xac file in my GnuCash directory.
> Is that to be expected?

These are transactional log files. They essentially show the 'delta'
between the XACs I believe. Again can be useful in recovery if something
goes wrong.

You can configure how many days worth of backups to keep under
Edit/Preferences/General. This should generally be a number of days that
makes sense based on your companies backup policies and needs to be able
to "revert" if something major happens.

Jason