Unrealized gains

Charles Day cedayiv at gmail.com
Mon Jun 30 11:37:19 EDT 2008

On Mon, Jun 30, 2008 at 7:09 AM, Derek Atkins <warlord at mit.edu> wrote:

> Charles,
>
> Are you mixing Realized and Unrealized gains?  Unrealized gains
> (or losses) occur every day when the value of an asset changes.
> However you don't record unrealized gains.  You record REALIZED
> gains, when you actually exchange one asset for another.

Recording only the realized gains will put the books out of balance. When
you sell, you have a realized gain on the quantity sold and an unrealized
gain on the quantity remaining. You have to record them both.

Try removing the unrealized gain splits from either of the examples I
attached previously and look how it throws off the trial balance.

-Charles

I just want to make sure you're using the correct terms before