Privacy and passwords for Gnucash

Mike or Penny Novack stepbystepfarm at mtdata.com
Sun Mar 2 11:03:22 EST 2008

>All most people want is a simple privacy feature that asks for a
>password on startup to open the data file. This would not need to be a
>complex uncrackable crytpotgraphic subroutine - just something simple
>that will discourage casual nosy parkers. Most people seeing the
>gnucash icon on the desktop and clicking it out of curiosity would see
>the request for a password and not go any further.
>
>Sure, it wouldn't discourage any 1337 hackers, but for stopping your
>spouse or a guest from casually browsing through your personal
>financial records, this would be an more than sufficient. For Gnucash
>to become a mainstream alternative to Quicken and Microsoft Money,
>this feature is vital.

I will try to answer.

Because you and people like you would be making the same wrong
assumption that you are making here.

Yes it would discourage a "nosy parker" who happened to stumble across
your data. But if the person DOESN'T really care to look, you don't need
the password protection.

It would NOT stop a spouse or guest unless they were fairly incompetent
with computers except as totally "end users". Even the protections of a
operating system user log in password do not protect data from somebody
who has access to the device, can stick in a "live OS" CD, and have the
machine come up under the operating system of their choice and where
they are a sysadmin. That doesn't take a "hacker".

Against somebody whom you have given physical access to your machine the
most practical safeguard for data is encryption. And THAT is probably
only good enough against a "non-pro". Even using very strong encryption
software a real code cracking hacker could probably get at your data
because it's unlikely you would have used a secure enough overall
security SYSTEM including things like how wisely was a password chosen*,
etc)

I will not disagree with this "For Gnucash to become a mainstream
alternative to Quicken and Microsoft Money, this feature is vital."
perhaps being possible but that's a MARKETING question. In other words,
a successful vendor might include a "feature" that DOES NOT WORK just
because the customer wants to have that feature and is under the
mistaken belief that that what the vendor is providing does work. Since
we don't care, aren't making money off the project, aren't going to lie
to you and sell you what is in effect "vaporware".

Michael

* --- Possibly wrong about this, but IMHO anybody who believes
application passwords provide security is unlikely, if using encryption,
to have selected their encryption password from a large enough set that
it can't be found by a "password guesser" in reasonable time.