Privacy and passwords

Charles Day cedayiv at gmail.com
Sun Mar 2 12:44:22 EST 2008

On Sat, Mar 1, 2008 at 12:08 PM, Davey Jones <davidkjones03 at googlemail.com>
wrote:

> Having done a search of the archives, I'm still not clear why there is
> is such a huge philosophical objection from the devs to implementing a
> simple password feature for Gnucash.

I was involved in a discussion of the same topic in November/December. (To
skip the beginning bits, begin reading
here<https://lists.gnucash.org/pipermail/gnucash-user/2007-December/022683.html>.)
For the XML backend, I think the conclusion was that the previously
expressed philosophical objections were not an issue provided that all the
crypo stuff could be implemented through a well-known and maintained
open-source library, so that GnuCash would only need to do a few simple API
calls. However, due to lack of resources and the higher priority given to
bug fixes and other enhancements, implementing a password feature for the
XML file is unlikely anytime soon. That was the conclusion reached, at least
as I understood it.

However, there are a number of developers currently working very hard on
adding the option of using a database of your choice as the backend for
GnuCash (rather than an XML file). When these efforts are completed, it
should be fairly simple to integrate any encryption and password protection
functionality provided by the database software.

Cheers,
Charles

The alternatives mentioned by the devs, such as using pgp, are not