Managing large files

blackhawke blackhawke at vetl.org
Mon Mar 3 18:21:13 EST 2008

Derek Atkins wrote:

> Changing from XML to SQL wont change the reports.  If you fixed the
> reports themselves you'd get the speedup regardless of the backend
> storage.  The MAIN reason for switching from XML to SQL in the backend
> is to enable "save on commit".. So you never lose data because your data
> is saved every time you commit a transaction.

Okay Derek, being just a dumb user I'm puzzled.

If "save on commit" is really the only advantage to going to a SQL, then why
are SQL's so popular? I mean, they're bloody huge! I run postgreSQL; just
the DB management software is like 15M; and every database created is about
1.5M in size just to give the software the room it needs to "manage the
database".

If there's no speed advantage between, say 20,000 transactions stored in an
XML flat file and the same 20,000 stored in an SQL, then what's all that
software bloody doing other than playing traffic cop for multiple users?
:confused: