Importing from Quicken

Charles Day cedayiv at gmail.com
Tue Mar 4 00:38:48 EST 2008

On Mon, Mar 3, 2008 at 8:07 PM, Steve <zephod at cfl.rr.com> wrote:

> [...]
> > borrowed stock. So you have an asset (the sale proceeds) paired with a
> > liability (the shares you owe to your broker). Whether you actually
> receive
> > the cash right away doesn't matter. Your broker owes you the proceeds of
> the
> > sale (that's your asset, much like A/R), and you owe your broker the
> shares
> > (that's your liability).  When you later do the cover, you buy the
> shares
> > using the asset account and deposit them into the liability account. The
> > difference is your profit, which is a transfer from an income account
> > ("Realized shorts", perhaps).
> >
> > How does that sound?
>
> OK. I think I've got it and yhis is what I tried to do to start with but I
> screwed it up somehow. I have 3 accounts: (A = Assets, E = Expense)
>
> A:Brokerage Account
> A:Brokerage Account:ABC stock
> E Account:Brokerage Account:Commisions
>
> In the brokerage account I put this transaction:
>
> Description____________________________|_Deposit_|_Withdrawal
> Short_Sell_100_ABC____________________|________|___________
> _______________A:Brokerage_Account_____|_4990.0_|___________
> _______________E:Commision____________|___10.0_|___________
> _______________A:Brokerage_Account:ABC_|________|_5000.0_
>
> and the corresponding ABC account looks like this:
>
> Description____________________|_Shares_|_____|__Buy___|__Sell_|_Bal_
> Short_Sell_100_ABC____________|_-100___|_____|________|__100_|_-100
> _______A:Brokerage_Account_____|_______|_____|_4990.0 _|______|_____
> _______E:Commision____________|_______|_____|___10.0_|______|_____
> _______A:Brokerage_Account:ABC_|_-100__|_50.0_|_______|_5000.0_|___
>
> Now to cover the short I put this transaction in the Brokerage account:
>
> Description____________________________|_Deposit_|_Withdrawal
> Buy to cover 100 ABC___________________|________|__________
> ______________A:Brokerage_Account_____|_4490.0_|__________
> ______________E:Commision____________|___10.0_|__________
> ______________A:Brokerage_Account:ABC_|________|__4500.0__
>
> and the corresponding ABC account ends up like this
>
> Description____________________|_Shares_|_____|__Buy__|___Sell__|_Bal_
> Short_Sell_100_ABC____________|__100__|_____|___100_|________|___0
> ______A:Brokerage Account______|_______|_____|_______|_4490.0 _|___
> ______E:Commision____________|_______|_____|___10.0_|________|___
> ______A:Brokerage_Account:ABC_|__100__|_45.0_|_4500.0_|________|___
>
> So I sold short 100 shares of ABC stock at 50.0/share with a commision of
> 10.0 which deposited (100 * 50.0) - 10.0 = 4990.0 into my brokerage
> account leaving -100 shares in the ABC account.
> I then covered the short at 45.0/share with a commission of 10.0 which
> removes (100 * 45.0) + 10 = 4510.0. from the brokerage account and leaves
> a balance of 0 in the ABC account.
> This gives me a realized gain of 4990.0 - 4510.0 = 480.0.

The short seems OK except that the short sale proceeds shouldn't actually
add to the cash balance of your brokerage account, since you haven't
actually been paid by your broker yet. Instead, you need a separate asset
account, say "Assets:Brokerage Account:Shorts" that represents the amount
owed to you. So you'd have:

_______A:Brokerage_Account:Shorts_|________|______|_4990.0_|________|_____
_______E:Commision________________|________|______|___10.0_|________|_____
_______A:Brokerage_Account:ABC____|__-100__|_50.0_|________|_5000.0_|_____

Now you have an asset worth 4990.0 and you owe 100 shares worth 5000.0, for
a net loss of 10.0 (the commission). That makes sense to me.

For the cover, the amount coming out of the shorts account should be the
4990.0 from the sale. The first four split lines show that from that 4990.0,
10.0 is spent on commission, 4500.0 is spent to buy the shares, and the
remaining 480.0 gets deposited to the brokerage account. Then the capital
gains are accounted for in the last two lines, similar to the example shown
in the GnuCash Tutorial and Concepts
Guide<http://svn.gnucash.org/docs/guide/invest-sell1.html#invest-sellexample2>
:

Description_______________________|_Shares_|______|__Buy___|__Sell__|_Bal_
Buy_To_Cover_100_ABC______________|___100__|______|___100__|________|____0
_______A:Brokerage_Account:Shorts_|________|______|________|_4990.0_|_____
_______E:Commision________________|________|______|___10.0_|________|_____
_______A:Brokerage_Account:ABC____|___100__|_45.0_|_4500.0_|________|_____
_______A:Brokerage_Account:ABC____|_____0__|____0_|__480.0_|________|_____

Keep in mind that I'm not an accountant. Consider this my best guess! (If
the columns in these examples don't line up, try viewing them with a
fixed-width font such as Courier New.)

Cheers,
Charles

I hope you can read this OK