Privacy and passwords

Mike or Penny Novack stepbystepfarm at mtdata.com
Wed Mar 5 08:02:47 EST 2008

Davey,

    We do hear you, but please take another look at what you are saying,
because "security" isn't just about what is implemented in software but
also procedures. The best security software in the world if used with
improper/insecure procedures.

>My point was that pointing out what people "should" be doing or what
>is "the wrong way" to use your computer isn't very helpful when in the
>real world most people don't have separate accounts for each user.
>That's a simple fact, the fact that you don't agree with it doesn't
>change that. The majority of home users trade a certain amount of
>security for convenience, and not having to log off and log on again
>within in the confines of your own home is one of those conveniences.

    Yes indeed, but that is IDENTICAL to the question (in terms of
procedure) to whether they have separate GnuCash passwords, no? In other
words, if you can't be troubled to have a separate OS password from
other family members and guests, why should we developers imagine that
you would choose to have a separate GnuCash password.

>Again, I know a simple password would not provide a high degree of
>security, but it *would* be enough to deter most casual passers by,
>including family members. I keep my personal diary in a drawer in my
>house with a simple lock. It could easily be picked with just a
>hairpin, but I know that that this minimal amount of security make a
>huge difference compared to me leaving it out on the desk where
>curiosity may well prove too tempting for anyone who walks by.

    So in effect you are asking to be provided for a lock/key for THIS
drawer in addition to the lock/key that already exists on every drawer
in your house (including this one) should you bother to turn the key in
the lock. It is the pre-existence of the all-drawer locks that makes
what you ask low priority. You tell us that you aren't bothered to use
the locks that exist so why should we think you'd use this one.

    That is why my original response was geared to a more sensible
version of what you asked. I was responding to what were the problems of
providing security under the condition that other users of the system
had sysadmin rights --- in which case that fact that you all had your
own system log ins wouldn't help as a sysadmin can look at any data on
the system (and by inserting a "live OS" CD, anybody who can change the
boot sequence to come up from that can be a sysadmin). I was trying to
explain that providing security under this condition would be much more
difficult (except via encryption). It redefines "casual" or "lying on
the desk".

    So yes, I could envision password protection that could hold up
against people who although they had sysadmin rights nevertheless could
not write software (create their own modified version of a program)
under the assumption that they could not find somebody else to give them
such software -- as sysadmins they can install software. This could be
done but a substantial effort because it's not the program that needs
password protection (these users can run the program under their own
passwords but your data) but the DATA. That means a new data format
(slightly) that cannot be read by old versions of the program (not
forward compatible) but naturally the new program has to be backward
compatible, able to read old data too. A lot of effort for a small gain
in security (because almost surely it would not be all that hard to
obtain a copy of the special spy software "read GnuCash data in spite of
the password lock" --- a minor modification of the regular program). As
easy and far more secure would be to incorporate encryption.

Michael