General Thanks and Remarks

Stephan Pouh smpouh at gmx.at
Sun Mar 9 13:58:43 EDT 2008

Due to the recent rather heated discussions about encryption and whether this
should be a feature I find it appropriate to simply state a few facts about
my experience with GC.
I have been using Gnucash for almost 4 years. It is an invaluable tool for me
to keep track of my financial health.

Even though I am not entirely happy with the handling of Investments (an issue
found to be priority 2 by the developers) I have to admit that the program
does almost everything I want and a few things more I never bothered to check
out. It is STABLE AND continues to be SUPPORTED. These are probably the two
most important "features", when all your financial data are in a file.

For purposes of tracking my investments, which I could certainly do on a piece
of paper the size of a stamp ;) , I use "interest". Unfortunately, it is no
longer supported/updated and online updates of stock prices do no longer
work. Needless to say I am not good enough with computers to fix it myself,
or maybe just too lazy.

I have been trying to use KMyMoney for this purpose, however, it is not yet
really stable (crashes frequently on me) and reports are slower than in
GnuCash, which aren't that fast to begin with - seems to be general issue
with accounting programs(?).

Therefore, thanks to the developers of GnuCash, their efforts, time, ideas and
seemingly fathomless good humor.

Stephan
--
This message was brought to you by