Linux = Windows dictionary?

Robert Heller heller at deepsoft.com
Mon Mar 10 07:42:03 EDT 2008

At Mon, 10 Mar 2008 20:45:21 +1100 Doug Laidlaw <laidlaws at hotkey.net.au> wrote:

> My first reaction to that post was that the concepts mentioned are entirely
> irrelevant to a Windows user.  But that is not quite true.  My Windows XP
> talks about "safely removing" a removable media.  In Linux, we say that it is
> then "unmounted."  I have been caught that way under Linux; there can be a
> delay in writing the data, so if I simply take the media out, the data isn't
> yet on it.  I need to "unmount" it first; that ensures that everything that
> should be written to it, is written.  It can then be "safely removed."  In
> Windows, usually, it is written to immediately.

Under MS-DOS (Win 3.11, Win9x, WinME) the data IS written immediately.
Under Windows-NT (Win2K, Xp, Vista), there is *some* caching (like UNIX
systems do).  Yes the '"safely removing" a removable media' is what
passes for 'unmount' under Windows-NT and serves the same purpose.  This
is what I meant by 'heavily hidden'.

UNIX block device drivers (eg disk drives and the like) often use a
write cache to allow the implementation of 'smart' disk writes (write
whole cylinders, elevator seeks, etc.) under a multi-user environment
(UNIX is traditionally a multi-user operating system).

> Hope this helps and doesn't confuse,
>
> Doug.
>
> On Mon, 10 Mar 2008 07:29:39 am Robert Heller wrote:
> > At Mon, 10 Mar 2008 05:05:54 +1100 The Wassermans <dwass at optusnet.com.au>
> wrote:
> > > Thank you David,
> > >
> > > mounted ?   samba share?
> >
> > Mounting is a UNIX (includes Linux) thing: in order to access a mass
> > storage volume, usually a disk drive or partition on a disk drive, but
> > could also be any 'device' (USB key drive, digial camera, MP3 player)
> > with a 'file system' (an organized system for dealing with 'files' and
> > 'directories' aka 'folders'), this mass storage volume needs to be
> > connected to the kernel (heart of the operating system).  This is done
> > by 'mounting' the volume, usually with the 'mount' command.  MS-Windows
> > does not really have an equivalent (actually it does with NT based
> > systems (W2k/Xp/Vista), but it is heavily hidden, since the MS-DOS based
> > didn't).
> >
> > Samba share: samba is an open source  software package availble for
> > UNIX systems (Linux, BSD, Solaris, etc.) that implements Microsoft's
> > 'NetBIOS' protocols.  NetBIOS is the Microsoft protocol for sharing
> > disks and printers between MS-Windows computers.  A samba share is just
> > UNIX-ese for 'file share' (as oppused to NFS (Network File System). Why
> > the OP is using a Microsoft file sharing protocol between Linux boxes
> > is a mystery to me.  If it was me, I'd use NFS (which is a pretty much
> > UNIX/Linux 'native' network file system system).  My *guess* as to the
> > OP's problem might be due to some problem with the NetBIOS protocol and
> > file locking or something don't really know.
> >
> > > As I struggle to become a dedicated Linux user, I find the most
> > > intimidating aspect is understanding the new language/jargon.  I Googled
> > > for a dictionary but was unable to find a simple format that will allow
> > > me to see a translation to/from Windows terminology.  Can you point me
> > > to a place where I can simply look up a term and see something like:
> > > Mount = (whatever)?
> > >
> > > Dave W

Robert Heller             -- Get the Deepwoods Software FireFox Toolbar!
Deepwoods Software        -- Linux Installation and Administration
http://www.deepsoft.com/  -- Web Hosting, with CGI and Database
heller at deepsoft.com       -- Contract Programming: C/C++, Tcl/Tk