Accounting periods problem

Elizabeth Dodd edodd at billiau.net
Tue Mar 11 05:56:57 EDT 2008

On Tue, 11 Mar 2008, Wahur wrote:
> Well, the auditor came. Let all hell loose on me and said that Tax Board is
> gonna grill me alive if they discover it.
> Fortunately my auditor is my own mom :) so I have a chance to mend my ways.
> Problem is following:
> Say, I get a phone bill for February, dated to March 1. I would have to
> book it on a right date (March 1), but it should be accounted as February
> cost. It is important, because VAT is involved. Is there any way in Gnucash
> to solve that problem?
>
> Wahur

You are apparently to use accrual accounting.
In our jurisdiction, some people are on accrual accounting and some are on
cash basis accounting (which you were using).

If it is accrual accounting, it goes in on the month the bill gets to you /
the month it refers to
not the month you pay it.

You just have to adjust your dates to correspond to the Tax requirements, not
to put in as date_paid.

No accounting package I can imagine would do this automatically - it is a case
of ensuring you enter for correct time period.

Liz

--
dprintk(5, KERN_DEBUG "Jotti is een held!\n");
        linux-2.6.6/drivers/media/video/zoran_card.c