Accounting periods problem

Derrick Hudson dman at dman13.dyndns.org
Tue Mar 11 11:46:04 EDT 2008

On Tue, Mar 11, 2008 at 08:02:32AM -0500, Mike or Penny Novack wrote:

| PS -- In really nasty situations an entity might have to keep two sets
| of books, one on the "cash" basis and one on the "accrual" basis
| becausue different jurisdictions to which they must report don't agree
| on the requirement.

As I understand it, multiple sets of books are very common.  I was
told that, in the US at least, publicly traded companies must maintain
two sets of books: one for the IRS and one for the SEC.  The books for
public reporting (the SEC) follow GAAP.  The main difference is that
GAAP requires estimating certain items while the IRS only allows
actual amounts for tax write-offs.

-Derrick

--
\begin{humor}