transaction date

Mike or Penny Novack stepbystepfarm at mtdata.com
Thu Mar 13 07:41:06 EDT 2008

>The short version is that there is nothing incorrect about having the
>dates not match perfectly on both ends of a transaction. You record
>your transactions on the day you initiate them. Other parties involved
>in the transaction record them on the day they process them. These
>dates don't match and that's okay.

    That wasn't this situation. Of course the dates on your books need
not match the dates on some other entity's books. But here the
transaction was between two accounts in the same set of books. Note that
for legal purposes the real date (when going between parties) may not be
the date that either end has recorded. Unless a contract between the
parties specifies otherwise, might be the date when "constructive
delivery" occurred --- thus if that were critical, might be obtaining a
mailing receipt from the post office (again -- the usual disclaimer.)

    The person asking the question didn't say WHY it was important that
the book dates matched what the banks had. From personal experience, let
me say that it can be*.

>If for some reason you need to keep specific track of the dates money
>moves into and out of accounts on both ends of the transaction, then
>do as Mike suggested and use an interim account ("Funds in
>Transit"). Note though that there will then be a disconnect in the
>transaction. THe money out of one account will not directly point to
>the other account in which it is deposited.

    There is a "description field" available on both transaction (to and
from "funds in transit") which can be used to for that purpose (when
going into "transit", record ultimate destination and when leaving
"transit" record where from).

Michael

* I am also "treasurer" of a second entity but in this case one that
does not have it's own existence as a 510(c)3 independent from national.
I have to submit quarterly reports plus the bank statements for our
local group to the national treasurer. If the transit interval spanned
the closing days of a quarter a discrepancy between books and bank
statements would be glaring and depending on the personality of the
national treasurer I might have a lot of explaining/exception report
filing to do (the previous office holder in that post was most
unreasonable).