Price Source for Mutual Fund and Stock

Fred Bone Fred.Bone at dial.pipex.com
Fri Mar 21 14:25:21 EDT 2008

On 21 March 2008 at 11:06, Yogesh Agrawal said:

> On Thu, Mar 20, 2008 at 11:47 AM, Fred Bone <Fred.Bone at dial.pipex.com>
> wrote:
>
> > On 19 March 2008 at 9:26, Yogesh Agrawal said:
[...]
> > > I have two entries in the mutual fund
> > >
> > > 1) 117.428 unit @ 53.98       = 6338.76
> > > 2) 135.725 unit @ 191.628   = 26008.77
> > >
> > > When I select Weighted average I see total of
> > >
> > > 253.153 unit and total amount as 29286.59
[...]
> I have some other fund as well and for them I get the total amount
> correct
>
> But I am having a problem in this particular fund, as both of these
> transaction are split transactions.

This is NOT what you implied at first.

> So the split transaction is like, selling one mutual fund and buying
> another one.
>
> So in first case 117.428 unit @ 53.98       = 6338.76
>
> I sold something for 6338.76, in which I have capital gain of 338.75
> and then I bought 117.428 unit @ 53.98
>
> in the second case 135.725 unit @ 191.628   = 26008.77
>
> I sold something for 26,008.77, in which I have a capital gain of
> 11,305.23 and then I bought 135.725 unit @ 191.628.
>
> So which basically means instead of funding from bank, I am funding
> from the amount that I got while selling some other fund.
>
> Is it I am splitting it wrong, or there is some bug in weighted average
> calculation in the split transaction.

Almost certainly the former. However, as you have not given enough
detail, that's about as much as can be concluded.

If you show precisely what is in the account, giving all the splits for
each transaction, maybe someone can tell you what the problem is.