Price Source for Mutual Fund and Stock

Andrew Sackville-West andrew at swclan.homelinux.org
Thu Mar 27 13:45:47 EDT 2008

The quoting is woefully messed up, but I'll try...

On Tue, Mar 25, 2008 at 11:17:15AM -0700, Doug Brown wrote:
>    Derek Atkins wrote:
>
> I set up a very simple gnc database to test this a bit, but am having
> trouble. I created a very simple chart of accounts with 1 security, 1
> brokerage account, 1 mutual fund, and 1 bank account. I put two buys
> in for the mutual fund (ABC):
>
> 1/jan/2008, buy 100 shares @ $10
> 15/feb/2008, buy 100 shares @ $20
>
> I manually entered one price for ABC:
> 1/feb/2008: $11
>
> I first ran the "Investment Portfolio" report. It defaults to using a
> price setting of "most recent". It used $11, so it apparently only
> looked at the price db. If I use "nearest in time", I also get $11. If
> I select "weighted average", get: "Report error \n An error occurred
> while running the report."

there's definitely something wrong in there. I'm seeing it too and
I've not had time to look at it.

> Take a look on the terminal or /tmp/gnucash.trace for more information
> on the actual report crash.
>

>    I'm on XP, so I don't get any output to the terminal - could be because
>    gnucash.bat launches gnucash-bin via a "start" command. <Actually no, I
>    changed the batch file to not use "start" and I still don't see stderr
>    in my terminal>. The gnucash.trace file contains:
>    *   WARN <qof.engine> [guid_init()] only got 2022 bytes.
>    The identifiers might not be very random.
>    *   WARN <Gdk> gdkselection-win32.c:1068: OpenClipboard failed: Invalid
>    window handle.
>    *   WARN <Gdk> gdkselection-win32.c:1068: OpenClipboard failed: Invalid
>    window handle.
>    *   WARN <Gdk> gdkselection-win32.c:1068: OpenClipboard failed: Invalid
>    window handle.
>    *   WARN <Gdk> gdkselection-win32.c:1068: OpenClipboard failed: Invalid
>    window handle.
>    *   WARN <Gdk> gdkselection-win32.c:1068: OpenClipboard failed: Invalid
>    window handle.
>    *   WARN <Gdk> gdkselection-win32.c:1068: OpenClipboard failed: Invalid
>    window handle.
>    *   CRIT <gnc.backend.file> commodity_ref_to_dom_tree: assertion `c'
>    failed
>    Hopefully that means something to you.

nope, meaningless. You've got to get a way to capture actual terminal
output. I don't do windows so can't help, but maybe others can.

> I tried the "Advanced Portfolio" report. If I unselect the "Set
> preference for price list data" check box, I also receive the same
> generic report error. If I enter a sale:

grrr... despair... sorry. There is something going on under the
covers in the  price source stuff...

>    Bummer. If I could find time and IQ to contribute, handling of
>    investments is where I would start.

we could definitely use it. I ended up doing it accidently and am
definitely out of my element. My hope is to clean up the code enough
that others can understand it and then back quickly away... ;)