Vanishing transactions and log file

Derek Atkins warlord at MIT.EDU
Sat Mar 29 12:43:39 EDT 2008

Ross Boylan <RossBoylan at stanfordalumni.org> writes:

[snip]
> Practical Questions:
> 1. Is there a guide to the format of the .log files somewhere?

In the sources.

> 2. Is there some way I could cut out pieces of them (e.g., the lines
> starting with B), put them in a file, and replay them to get them back?

Ummm.. I wouldn't.  It would be easier and faster to just re-enter
the transactions by hand.

> Less Practical Questions:
> 3. Can anyone think of any way the stock transactions would be deleted
> without my manual intervention?

Nope.  It sounds like you saw them in another account, didn't realize
what they were for, and deleted them there.  The only potential way
gnucash would have self-destructed is if the transactions had the same
GUIDs.

> 4. Why is gnucash constantly retitling my splits, moving them around
> vertically, and creating new splits?  I'm sure I had this problem with
> the stock sales, and it may have been the same issue with the regular
> transactions that misbehaved.

It all depends on how you enter them.  If you hit 'enter' then it
causes the transaction to get partially committed, and scrubbed,
and that will cause splits to get re-ordered.  Arguable this is a
bug.

>               I suspect two problems.  First, with
> autosplit, if you enter 2 splits that use the same account as the
> register window you are in, the interface moves these around so that
> they appear visually as 2 separate transactions.

This isn't a bug.  Arguably it's a feature.  The best way to
explain this is that an account register doesn't show transactions,
it shows splits.  Now, GENERALLY you only have one split in
an account, so the "transaction" appears only once.  But in the
case of a stock sale with cap-gains, yes, you see it twice.
There IS an open RFE for an option to "combine" multiple splits
from one transaction into a single line in the register, but I
suspect that wont happen anytime soon.

>         Second, the register
> seems to insist that certain accounts appear as the first or last split.

It does order credits and debits.  It shouldn't care about the
accounts.

> I'm now on 2.2.4; I think it was 2.2.3 at the time of the
> disappearances.

I dont think anything changed in the register code there.