Expenses with multiple currencies

Youssef Ltaief ltai0001 at yahoo.com
Sat Mar 29 13:31:41 EDT 2008

Hi,
I checked the archive but couldn't find a clear answer to following situation:
I have two bank accounts in two different countries with two different currencies (USD and EUR)
I have bank expense charges on these two accounts that I get from my statements.
I currently have the following setup:

Expenses
Expenses:Bank charges (USD)
Expenses:Bank charges:Bank 1 (USD)
Expenses:Bank charges:Bank 2 (EUR)

The problem here is that the total on "Bank Charges" and subsequently "Expenses" is in USD and adjusted according to the current exchange rate which is not correct since the EUR charges were incurred in the past.

Should I go with a set up where I separate the Top expense accounts like this instead:

Expenses (USD)
Expenses:Bank charges (USD)
Expenses:Bank charges:Bank 1 (USD)

Expenses (EUR)