How to record FSA, 401(k) match, income tax refund

Robert Ramsdell rcriii at ramsdells.net
Sun Mar 30 20:09:02 EDT 2008

I do the 401(k) match and Flex spending accounts as you describe.

For the tax refunds, I have two accounts: Expenses\Tax\Federal (state,
etc) and Assets\Current Assets\Tax refunds.  When I know the refund
amount I make a transfer _from_ the expense account to the asset account
dated Dec 31st, then when the refund actually arrives make a transfer
from the asset account to the appropriate bank account.  If I owe money
the transfers go the other way.  This way the total of the expenses\tax
\... accounts work out for the year.

Robert