Vanishing transactions and log file

Derek Atkins warlord at MIT.EDU
Mon Mar 31 09:04:48 EDT 2008

"Donald Allen" <donaldcallen at gmail.com> writes:

> The thing that is confusing is that when a register is viewed in
> anything other than 'transaction journal' mode, something that was
> entered as one transaction shows up as two entries. You say that the
> register shows splits, but I don't completely buy that. There
> per-transaction fields, e.g.,  'description'  and 'date'. These show
> up twice in the 'Basic Ledger' and 'Auto-split Ledger' modes for
> transactions like this where the account appears twice in a
> transaction. But then they show up once when using the 'transaction
> journal' mode.

Sorry, let me expand my statement.  The register LISTS splits, showing
split (and associated transaction) data.  But the primary entity in
a standard basic register is a Split, not a Transaction.  This is why
you see duplicate entries, because you have two splits from the same
transaction so you get two line entries in the register..  Both lines
showing the same transactional data but different split data.