Expenses with multiple currencies

Adam Funk a24061 at ducksburg.com
Mon Mar 31 17:34:44 EDT 2008

On 2008-03-31, Derek Atkins wrote:

> I'd argue it's a bug.  GnuCash really should understand that "income"
> and "expense" exchanges are permanent (fixed) and should use the
> actual transactional exchange rate when reporting, whereas the values
> of Assets and Liabilities can float as the value of the commodity
> fluctuates.  Unfortunately this means we need to update the way most
> of the reports work to differentiate between floating commodities and
> fixed commodities.

I have most of my accounts in GBP but a bank account and associated
Income:USA:Interest account in USD.  For me it's useful to be able to
produce an annual report of my US-based income in the original
currency in order to prepare my tax return, because I need to record
the whole calendar year's US income in that currency, and my UK income
converted into USD at the semi-official rate for the year.

If I couldn't do this in Gnucash (i.e., if it forced me to keep all my
income and expense accounts in the main currency), I'd have to go back
to adding entries to a spreadsheet every month from my payslips and
bank statements.