Reconciliation window: closing balance distorted and reconciliation date

Jannick Asmus jannick.news at gmail.com
Fri May 2 08:21:18 EDT 2008

Maf,

On 02.05.2008 13:41, Maf. King wrote:

> Oh, I understand now.
>
> If you try to reconcile an account today, but you already have a transaction
> for next week reconciled, then the (default/register balance) "ending
> balance" and the "reconciled balance" can't be made to agree. (diff <> 0.00)

Right. :-)

> I suggest that you will have to manually over-ride the ending balance when you
> start the reconcile, or adjust it using Reconcile-> Reconcile Information
> once you know what the discrepancy is.

This needs tedious calculations. I would like GC to do this job for me.

> There is a "bug" (deviation from user expectation) in how the reconcile dialog
> ending balance figure is auto-filled when you start the process.

I was wondering to file a bug at bugzilla. But first I wanted to hear
what others think about it. I think I should file shortly.

> Does Umsatzsteuer work in the same way as UK VAT - you charge some % on every
> invoice you write, the total of which should be paid to the government at
> some date in the future - but before you make that payment, you deduct the
> taxes you have paid with your purchases during the same period?

That sounds quite similar to the German Umsatzsteuer system. The current
percentage is 19% or 7% or 0% depending on the classification of the
payment/good. So it is possible that you have more than one VAT account
to book to since there are 7% and 19% items on your invoice.

We can off-set VAT for purchases in the same period, too. With regard to
the due dates of the VAT of your invoices, there are basically two
methods: The point of time the VAT of the invoice is classified to be
due at the next due date is either (1) at issue date of the invoice or
(2) the payment date.

I still (!) belong to the lucky ones who must pay VAT according to (2).

The next due date can be the 10th of next month (e.g. VAT of month
February is due at 10th March) or with one month delay (that 10th April
in the example).

> I don't reconcile my liability:VAT accounts, so I haven't hit your situation,
> although I think I understand where it comes from now.

I reconcile every account to avoid inconsistencies and apply proper
double accounting.

> Regards,
> Maf.

Best wishes,