Question about selling stocks

Matheus Leite matheus at longadata.com
Sun May 4 11:29:56 EDT 2008

Hi, I am new to gnucash and I am considering using it to track my investments.

Reading the online manual there is one thing which I don't understand
regarding selling stocks. The example there displays a situation where
you buy a certain quantity of shares for a certain price and later
sells all these shares for a higher price, characterizing a profit
gain. It's recorded in gnucash as a split transaction and the user
needs to know the buying price beforehand
(http://www.gnucash.org/docs/v2.0/C/gnucash-guide/invest-sell1.html).

In a more realistic scenario, one buy and sells shares of the same
stock multiple times and it's hard to know what was the buying price.
How could I manage stock selling in gnucash, for example, if I bought
100, 200, 50 and 150 shares of, say, Amazon stocks, at different times
and prices, and later I want to sell them all together? Do I have to
calculate the profit by hand before entering the transaction in
gnucash?

Thanks in advance for any response.

Matheus